top of page



How do I get an ITIN Number as an H4, L2 or F1 Visa Holder?


What is the ITIN?


An “ITIN” is an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). ITINs are issued only to people who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number from the Social Security Administration. (Examples, H4 Visa holders, spouses/dependents of an H1 or H2 Visa holders, L2 Visa holders and F2 Visa holders etc.)

IMPORTANT: An ITIN is for tax purposes only. It does not authorize work and cannot be used as an identification number or for any purpose outside the tax system.


How do I apply for my ITIN?

  •  Fill out IRS Form W-7.

  • Attach a valid Federal Income Tax Return (unless you qualify for an exception - see page 3 of Form W-7)*Remember: AS a Dependent of a Valid US Visa Holder you will be filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions.

  • Instead, send your Tax return, Form W-7 and proof of identity documents to the address listed in the Form W-7 instructions at:                                   

                               Internal Revenue Service                                   

                              Austin Service Center                                   

                              ITIN Operation                                   

                              P.O. Box 149342                                 

                                                                   Austin, TX 78714-9342


  •  File with your Original or certified proof of identity and copy of your current US VISA


What documents are can be attached as proof of Identity and a dependent’s Foreign Status?

If you submit an original valid passport (or a notarized or certified copy of a valid passport), you do not need to submit any other documents from the list below

IF YOU DONOT PROVIDE YOUR ORIGINAL PASSPORT: you must submit a combination of (at least 2 or more) current and valid documents from the list below.


  • identification card issued by your national authority showing your photo, name, current address, date of birth and expiration date)

  • Valid US State driver's license or Non driver’s ID Card

  • Certified copy of birth certificate

  • Valid driver's license issued by the appropriate authority form your home country

  • US photo military ID card


  • US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification

  • Medical records evidencing the relationship (dependents only)

  • School records (dependents and/or students only)


You can submit copies of original documents. Copies will not be returned. These copies must either be:

  1. Certified by the foreign issuing authority that your document(s) are copies of the original record, OR

  2. Notarized by a US Notary Public


Original documents they will be returned by the IRS provided you include a self-addressed-stamped envelope. It is not recommended to send your original documents if you can use copies and have them notarized. Regarding immigration applicants, it is never known when you will need your original so it is best to keep them in a safe place.


How/Where do I apply for an ITIN?

  • Apply in person: You can apply for ITIN in person. Carry completed forms and valid documents to any IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in the US.


  • Apply through an Acceptance Agent: You can also apply through an Acceptance Agent authorized by the IRS. Acceptance Agents will review your documentation, complete a certificate of accuracy, and forward the certificate and application to the IRS for processing. Some Acceptance Agents may charge a fee. Click here for Authorized Acceptance Agents in Massachusetts.


  • Mail: Mail Form W-7, your tax return and supporting documents to: (The IRS may change this location, so please check for updated information at the IRS.Gov website.                                   


                                      Internal Revenue Service                                   

                                      Austin Service Center                                   

                                      ITIN Operation                                   

                                      P.O. Box 149342                                    

    Austin, TX 78714-9342


How and when will you receive your ITIN?


Within 4-6 weeks you should receive a notice from the IRS assigning your new tax ID Number. If 4-6 weeks have passed please call 1-800-829-1040 and speak to an IRS Agent. (Please have a copy of your documents handy for reference.) 


Contact a Lowell Immigration Attorney Online Today or call us at 978-566-1075

bottom of page